- + Date of Established : 1900
- + Principal : Dr Titus Presler
- + Type : Private
Phone Number : +92 91 5275154, 5275211
Website : http://edwardes.edu.pk
Address : The Mall, Peshawar, Pakistan
Edwardes College is an undergraduate and graduate institution in the city of Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province along Pakistan's northwest border with Afghanistan. The college serves about 2,000 students in sciences, arts and humanities, business administration, and computer science.
The college's degree programs, affiliated with the University of Peshawar, lead to the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Bachelor of Computer Science (B.S.C.), and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degrees awarded through the University of Peshawar. Edwardes also offers an A-Level program, and the Faculty of Arts (F.A.) and Faculty of Science (F.Sc.) certificates through the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The Higher National Diploma (H.N.D.) program in business and information technology offers the option of a third year in an institution in the U.K., U.S.A. or Australia.
Edwardes is an institution of the Diocese of Peshawar, one of eight dioceses of the Church of Pakistan, which was formed in 1970 by the union of Anglicans, Presbyterians, Methodists, and Lutherans. Long a men’s college, Edwardes is now co-educational with about 200 women students and 15 women among its 85 faculty members, with numbers of women anticipated to increase over time. The college has a vital community life, which includes freedom of worship for persons of all faiths, sporting events, a debate society, drama productions, and student publications.
The Church Missionary Society established the Church Mission College in 1900 as an outgrowth of Edwardes High School, which had been founded in 1855 by the society as the first institution of western-style schooling in the northwest frontier region of what was India at the time. For many years the college was the only institution of higher education in the northwest frontier. Sir Herbert Edwardes was a British colonial administrator and commander whose name the college later adopted. The first major college building, now known as the Old Hall, was built in 1910 in a Mogul style that was replicated in a number of the college’s later buildings. Edwardes was visited three times by the founder of the nation, Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, by Mahatma Gandhi, and more recently by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams. In its early years Edwardes awarded degrees through the University of Punjab, and since 1952 its degrees have been awarded through the University of Peshawar.
The college campus is located in the cantonment, or military garrison, section of the city, and it lies near the provincial museum and archives, the railway station, the airport and various other colleges. The University of Peshawar is some distance away. The campus includes both a Christian chapel, consecrated in 1888, and a Muslim mosque. The oldest building is what is now the Principal's Bungalow, which the Church Missionary Society bought for its local headquarters in 1855. Fully restored and renovated between 1987 and 1995, the bungalow contains, in addition to personal accommodation, a board room used for routine administrative meetings and for gatherings of the college Board of Governors.
Established in September 2007, the Women's Centre at Edwardes College provides a setting of privacy and mutual interaction for female students and faculty. Edwardes is committed to co-education, so the centre is not intended to segregate women from men, but rather to offer women a relaxing place of their own within the co-educational environment of the College.
The Centre consists of a semi-detached house next to the Bungalow and is set in a spacious walled garden with access on two sides. There is a full-time ayah, who manages a stall selling tea and snacks. Several rooms accommodate visiting space for women students and women faculty members. Badminton is often played on the lawn.
Women's Officer Mrs. Nasira Manzoor, Asst. Prof. of Physics, occupies an office in the Centre and is available for counseling most days of the week. As a deputy senior proctor she supervises the women student proctors. She recently served on the Faculty Selection Committee.
There are currently 305 women students enrolled in Edwardes College, 2.3 times the number enrolled in 2007. Since five women were added to the faculty in September 2011, women faculty currently number 17 in a wide variety of fields, from English to Business, from Urdu to Chemistry.
Edwardes has hostel accommodation for about 200 male students. There are three hostels, and currently they accommodate first-year, second-year, and degree students respectively. Each hostel is in the care of a warden, assisted by a senior student. They are:
- Founder's hall (degree students)
- Woolmer hall (2nd-year students)
- Edmonds hall (1st-year students)
Each hall has its own common room and facilities, but all share the same cafeteria.
- Department of A Levels
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Islamyat & Pushto
- Department of Law
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Political Science / Pakistan Studies / Civics
- Department of Professional Studies
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Urdu