6 Weeks With the Ministry of Planning, Development and Reform
The Ministry of Planning, Development and Reform is launching a new summer internship program for Pakistani students across the world who are interested in working with the ministry on its projects. This will be an opportunity for students to both learn and contribute to the Development, Planning and Reform process being undertaken by the current government and the ministry. The program will be a 6 week structured internship where students will work from their homes through the internet on creating and studying proposals, ideas and documents on various projects. The Ministry of Planning, Development and Reform is accepting applications for the Summer Internship Program till July 10th. All interns will be working on projects/departments relevant to Vision 2025 and will be assigned research work on the key pillars.
Vision 2025 Encompasses The Following Pillars, Interns Will Have to Give Preferences on The Pillars They’d Like to Work on:
- Pillar 1: Developing Human and Social Capital: Pakistan Vision 2025 seeks a society in which every citizen has the opportunity to transform their quality of life. This requires strengthening human and social capital, which will allow the population to optimally contribute to and effectively benefit from economic growth. Pakistan lags far behind its peers in areas like education, health and social development. The UNDP Human Development Report 2013 has ranked Pakistan at 146th out of 187 countries on the HDI ranking, which measures health, education and standard of living.Overcoming this deficit is the foremost priority of Vision 2025. Since human and social capital development is a prerequisite for all other development it is the very first of our seven pillars. Recognizing the size and scale of this endeavor, we conceive a very significant increase in resource allocation, and quantum improvement in the quality of service delivery through good governance and innovation.
- Pillar II Achieving Sustained, Indigenous and Inclusive Growth: The objective of Pakistan Vision 2025 is to offer opportunities for achieving better living standards to all Pakistanis irrespective of faith, creed, ethnicity, political affiliation or region i.e. inclusive growth. Studies have shown that high GDP growth does not always mean high social development unless there is a dedicated strategy to distribute the benefits of growth in the society and people are made capable to be a part of the growth process. Inclusive growth on the principle of social justice and equity would ensure that people are effective contributors to and beneficiaries of the growth process. Pakistan Vision 2025 also aims this growth to be driven primarily by mobilizing indigenous resources.
- Pillar III Governance, Institutional Reform & Modernization of the Public Sector: Governance is the central pivot which underpins realization of key national objectives, and is a cross cutting theme which simultaneously runs across the other six pillars of the vision. Pakistan Vision 2025 affords special consideration to quality of governance and economic management in the country A responsive, inclusive, transparent and accountable system of governance is envisaged through adoption of a holistic approach – from policy to strategy to implementation and delivery, encompassing all administrative levels – federal, provincial, regional, district and local – in a rules based, results oriented perspective.
- Pillar IV Energy, Water & Food Security: Pakistan Vision 2025 recognizes that sufficient, reliable, clean and cost-effective availability of energy, water and food – for now and the future – is indispensable in ensuring sustainable economic growth and development. These key sectors have suffered historically from severe failings of integrated policy and execution. Meeting this challenge has been further complicated due to the severe impact of ongoing climateHowever, we are proud to have a renewed national consensus on committing major new investments, through unprecedented public and private sector collaboration, to bridge very large gaps that threaten the wellbeing and progress of our country. While investments to ensure the needed additional supply are being made, we are equally committed to creating and encouraging a culture of conservation and efficiency in the usage of energy and water.
- Pillar V Private Sector & Entrepreneurship Led Growth: Pakistan Vision 2025 seeks a Pakistan that is a highly attractive destination for the private sector where private investment and entrepreneurship plays a lead role in the country’s development. The policy dispensation aims at sustained engagement of the private sector and enables efficient deployment of private resources and skills to achieve the visualized objectives.
- Pillar VI Developing a Competitive Knowledge Economy through Value Addition: National competitiveness refers to the ability to produce and deliver products and services effectively and profitably in relation to other, competing countries. Improving our national competitiveness is therefore critical to our ability to utilize our resources in a productive manner based on merit, quality and innovation.
- Pillar VII Modernizing Transportation Infrastructure & Greater Regional Connectivity:
Pakistan Vision 2025 seeks to establish an efficient and integrated transportation system that will facilitate the development of a competitive economy. Key related targets are to ensure reduction in transportation costs, safety in mobility, effective connectivity between rural areas and markets /urban centres, inter-provincial high-speed connectivity, integrated road/rail networks between economic hubs (including air, sea and dry ports) and also high-capacity transportation corridors connecting major regional trading partners.
All applicants will be allowed to specify two preferences and must provide reasons for why they feel they can contribute most to a particular project/department. The internship will be unpaid and all interns will be provided with a internship certificate at the end of the internship.
Application Deadline: June 15th, 2015
Online Application: Click Here